Monday, March 23, 2009

Courtney S_Altered and Assembled

Courtney Sanchez Altered and Assembled The Beat Goes On-New Perspectives The piece I chose to write on from this art show was Patsy Cline by Ellen Siegal. I noticed this piece because of the relation of Jesus Christ; engrossed by the nail through the palm. I was drawn to this piece because of its feminine qualities and strong image of the nail through the mannequin’s hand. My first reaction to this was that of the struggle of women. I also liked the flower painting on the stick and the pearl décor. The colors were pretty and cheerful but the nail through the hand a bit disturbing (which made me extra inquisitive). When I came home and looked up the name Patsy Cline learned she was a country music singer that was originally named Virginia Patterson Hensley from Virginia. I am not a big fan of country music but she is said to be considered one of the most influential, successful, revered, and acclaimed female voices of the 20th century. She died at the age 30 in a 1963 plane crash in the height of her career. She was the first solo female artist inducted to the Country Music Hall of Fame. Maybe a song of hers mentioned a nail in a woman’s hand or maybe the artist, Ellen Siegal uses Patsy as an example of a leader for other women.

1 comment:

  1. Patsy Kline is well worth investigating (speaking as a fan who does not generally listen to Country Western – despite being from Texas)
    Ellen Siegal is an interesting artist. She also works at the Hunterdon Museum in Clinton, NJ.

    ReplyDelete