Monday, March 23, 2009

Courtney S_Banana Factory

Courtney Sanchez Banana Factory Tour with Rachel Akers The most interesting aspect was that Rachel can manage the gallery all by herself. Her ability to set up the show within two days is an inspiration and amazing. The most unexpected thing seen was the ceramic sculpture of the man that looked a bit demonic. I found it really interesting and shocking because there weren’t many dark pieces of art at the factory. I’m also curious to see what the buyers of his art are like. I can imagine myself as a Visual Arts Coordinator in maybe a few years or so. Right now I am not capable of being extremely organized and do not do too well under pressure. I hope to achieve all of those skills sometime soon. I think a job like this could really prepare me for future experiences and could learn very much. Ester Smith’s gallery was very powerful. Her use of text really complimented and demanded attention. The photographs of the natural roads and swamps were beautiful in a melancholy way. Her images and words are hard to forget and I appreciated her sharing her personal background and the voyage she went on to retrace her roots in the South.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel Akers has the energy of five very motivated people on any given day. Very inspirational, don't you think?

    Dark Art: A small audience in our immediate vicintiy for sure, but it's there. Life size fired ceramics, very cool!

    Ester Smith show: Emotionally powerful indeed. I see something similar brewing just under the surface in your recent work.

    ReplyDelete