Monday, March 23, 2009

Courtney S_Frank Mann Individual Critique

Courtney Sanchez March 9, 2009 Frank Mann Critique The Frank Mann critique was a really cool experience. I never thought to be critiqued by an artist that is known for art at MoMA. It is a very special opportunity and I greatly appreciated it. He was very down to earth and also very helpful. Frank Mann brought up ideas about my work that I previously haven’t thought of. One was the idea of wanting people or ideas that are not here. Such as, my personal belief system and my Medusa’s daughter (portrait of myself as a child). Medusa is a mythological character that is not real and my personal belief system shared people that are no longer here. Frank also told me that he has a fascination with mythology and has studied it quite a bit. Frank also told me that the enlarged portrait painted green was comical and alien like. He enjoyed the mask appearance it had. He thought the dollar store snakes as hair were really cool but suggested I either add more 3-D objects or make the snakes flat. I noticed the snakes stood out and decided to keep them and added fake flowers onto the collar. He also said he noticed my baby crib when he entered the room and said it reminded him of 19th century morbidity art. He told me to look into that art subject and I took his advice. I found some pretty cool websites on it that showed strange things like a hurse with big windows so you could see the coffin. The critique was helpful and interesting. I enjoyed meeting him and appreciated his advice.

1 comment:

  1. Some good food for thought here:
    • Materials in the "Medusa" self-portrait – photo appropriation, painting over plexi, 3-D collage additions

    • Morbidity art

    • Highly charged found objects: altered crib

    So much to work with, better get busy!

    ReplyDelete