Tuesday, March 31, 2009

NYC Trip (studios and galleries)

When we went to John McDevitt King’s studio I was immediately drawn to their wall with all the art, his collection was amazing and I took lots of pictures. I also enjoyed his demonstration with wax and loved listening to him talk about his work and his book. His drawings seemed very empty, yet sort of peaceful at the same time. I thought that it was really cool that he collaborated with a poet and made his book, because I often find my inspiration in words, and his drawings inspired words. Also neat because I plan on having drawings with words in my show. And I have a fascination with gems.
At the Ok Harris gallery I loved the paintings of the cars and highways at dusk, The colors contrasted so beautifully with the black and it made me feel relaxed. It made me think of a long road trip and longing for home or wherever. The sculpture of twigs that created a shadow of the USA was incredible!! I don’t understand how someone could take the time to figure that out. Absolutely amazing. The bottle cap jewelry was neat too because it seemed vintage and beautifully put together.
The Garden at 4am show was really cool because it had many selections from artists allover the world. I thought it was really neat to hear Paul and Renee talk about how they had to find the art for the show. I couldn’t believe hoe expensive some of the work was, which made me nervous. I was especially interested in the snow globe, I loved looking into it and imagining that I was there. I also like the 250,000 dollar skeleton and I wondered if the bones were real. It was neat to hear Paul and Renee’s story about how they came to be where they are. I’m sure there were many struggles and much dedication.
We went to several galleries and one of my favorites was the one with all of the projected images. The cigarette room made me want to start smoking again but I’m not sure if that is what the artist wanted. I really like the hole in the wall where there was a tree and tiny house with people arguing inside. Very different from anything I’ve seen. My other favorite gallery was the one with the images of the little girl, she seemed creepy and innocent. The playhouses were neat too, I wanted to climb inside and live there, especially in the one with the cd player. It seemed like it belonged to a little girl with many issues.
The Pulse art fair was by far the most amazing part of the trip. I had no idea how awesome it was going to be. I loved how there was work from artists all over the world, it was so interesting to see so many different styles of work.

_L.Berger

3 comments:

  1. good comments –
    John King: As you descibe his work, "empty, yet peaceful", seems right-on. Your like-minded fascination with words and (gems?), I can't wait to see what develops!
    O.K. Harris: The "romantically" inspired highways at dusk paintings show us that what is old can be new again. Larry Kagan (wire illusionist pieces) is definitely some kind of genius!
    Garden at 4 AM: Beautiful show by two beautiful people.
    Tony Ousler: Although the stated theme (re: pres release) was "addictions", I don't think he was advocating smoking (good luck staying off the cigarettes!), but rather examing our behaviors in his usual, intense, multi-media way. Previous work often featured large projected eyeballs and disembodied voices. Check it out.
    Yoshitomo Nara's work is unusually beguiling. He mines our collective childhood memories to great effect.
    PULSE: "Awesome" is the word...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I thought that it was really cool that he collaborated with a poet and made his book, because I often find my inspiration in words, and his drawings inspired words" - nice observation.

    and yeah...I smoked a cig after after I saw that piece, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked Tony Oursler's little house with people arguing in it as well. Pretty damn bizarre and funny

    ReplyDelete