Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lauren D. Allentown Art Museum

Allentown Art Museum

Steve Gamler - Preparator

Most interesting of job and role in museum
Steve handled, framed, matted, helped curate, and prepared exhibition for the Allentown Art Museum. The most interesting part of his job is the thought of being able to hold a 20 million dollar - rare - important art historical - piece of art. Viewing the show before it unfolds also is very interesting.

Picture myself in his position? No, because I am not an analytical person. The occupation had too many rules, regulations, procedures, and math! No thank you! I think I would have incorrect measurements and would not want to put my math in the hands of a Monet painting!

Jackie Atkins - Kate Fowler Murel Smith Curator of Textiles, Curator of Collections and Exhibitions

Most interesting of job and role in museum

Jackie was the head curator of the museum. She also curated all the incoming, outgoing, and permanent collections. The most interesting part of her position was the fact she was so involved with all aspects of the museum. Curating, preparing, designing, collecting, ect. Her jobs never stopped.

Picture myself in her position? No, because again, there were too many regulations, procedures, and rules. I enjoy the aspect of curating an exhibition, but also having to organize over 5,000 pieces of art would drive me mad.

Jane Kintzner - Associate Director of Education and Programming, interim Director of Education

Most interesting of job and role in museum?
Jane was the Associate Director of Education in the museum. She conducted interactive art history information sessions, art classes, and coordinates the entire program. The most interesting part of her job was the interaction with the children of young and old spirits. I enjoyed hearing that children as young as 2 years and adults as old as 60 years enjoyed the workshops.

Picture myself in her position?

Definitely Yes! I really enjoyed listening to Jane talk about her job. Every day must be always different, creative, and rewarding within her field. I could definitely see myself in her shoes mainly because of my personality. She is running around, meeting new people, using her hands, and creative thoughts. How wonderful!

1 comment:

  1. Too bad our time was cut short with Jane Kintzer, Interim Director of Art Education for the AAM. (Note I misspelled her name originally, but it is correctly spelled here.) She really does have her fingers in everything. Her role is so important in connecting the community to the art on view in interactive and meaningful ways. Art Ed could be a good career option for an artist with the right personality.

    ReplyDelete