Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Frank Mann

I was a little nervous to have my work critiqued by Frank Mann because it was obviously a new experience for me. As soon as a met him I could tell he was going to be nice and easy to talk to, and he had many interesting opinions about my art. He said that my artwork reminded him of 80’s gothic art and he also said that it reminded him of film strips. Two things I have never heard yet, but I definitely saw how he saw it that way. He also said that my first piece reminded him of things that people leave behind over the years, which was really interesting because my project was about time, and what it does to us. He told me about corrugated aluminum because it is more archival, but it is not free, like cardboard. I really enjoyed talking to him and seeing his point of view. Now I want to research 80’s gothic art, and how to preserve cardboard!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like it was a very worthwhile critique. Your work being about "time" strikes a cord. How could you push this even more?
    As discussed in class, by coating the corrugated you can definitley prolong its life expectancy before falling apart. Saturating with acrylic mediums, spray varnishing (outside only of course) will help as well. Preventing direct contact with the air is key. Save the corrugated aluminum for your first public commission and be sure to put in your materials budget!

    ReplyDelete