Monday, April 6, 2009

Michelle Andreano, Self Critique

My self-portrait is composed of three parts – two acrylic painted canvases and a multimedia piece. I started this project out as a pen and ink drawing, however I abandoned that as it was not working for me and went onto the multimedia piece.

I had planned on incorporating some ceramic pieces into my work this semester. The glazed ceramic face was created off of a plaster mold of my face and glazed last semester. I found a plain cigar box which I painted and added paper and fabric to. The last thing I added was the mirror, which I then put pen drawings, like the one I abandoned, around it.

Midway through working on the multimedia piece, I decided to do a traditional painted portrait. After taking a bunch of pictures of myself, I chose one half in darkness. As for the last piece, the abstract self portrait, I created that over the winter break, almost as a continuation of our family portrait piece last semester.

The subject of all of the pieces was hiding myself. The abstract one showed unbridled, raw emotion, the dark self-portrait showed hiding who you are and your emotions from the world, and the multimedia piece showed masking it with a false face. I arranged it so that your eye would go from the intense raw emotion, to the hidden face, which is then looking down at the mask.

The piece means that I hide my true self from most everyone, whether to avoid showing them the truth because it would upset them or me, or because then I would have to actually confront someone.

1 comment:

  1. Good.

    Is it possible that art is the most viable way to reveal truths that in every day life we hide, but often wish we didn't feel the need to? It seems to be the case when you look at history. In art, you can say what it is you need to say, and we all like it best when it's uncensored and honest.

    ReplyDelete