Monday, April 6, 2009

Michelle Andreano, Frank Mann Crit & Artist Talk

The individual critique with Frank Mann was really interesting and helpful. I generally know what work of mine I like and what I think isn't going anywhere, and Frank affirmed what I already thought about my last few pieces. He also mentioned a few artists that I know of that have similar subject matter or 'spirit' in their pieces, such as Posada.


My bone piece and my two other most recent works are the most honest and best to me; the dark self portrait, though it does have a hidden meaning, is not translated well enough for my taste and is too literal.


My personal belief system work is good, but Frank pointed out that there is the problem of integrating a printed image into the piece effectively, as well as to make the fabric more integrated as well.


He looked at my sketchbook and saw where my ideas come from and grow. All together, it was a very positive experience, since I received pretty much the same opinion of my work that I feel towards it, as well as that I have heard from other people.


His lecture really helped to clarify what his work is about. I generally do not greatly appreciate most abstract work so it's no surprise that I didn't 'get' the exhibit in the gallery before the talk. After the lecture, I realize what he was going for, how the process of creating was more important to him than the product. Even though I now understand the process and some of the meaning behind the work, it is still not something that I would particularly want for myself. I want to make sure that my 'audience' knows that there is a greater meaning behind my work, even though I don't have to spell it out every time. To me, the meaning and or purpose is too hidden and the images are, for the most part, not compelling enough to make me want to go and actively find out what it is.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Props on being honest about abstract paintings. I'm right there with you and understand your desire to make the meanings behind your work more readily perceptible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review of critique and FM comments.

    So, can there be meaning in abstraction? If so, is it REAL or just perpetuated as such by some influentials in the art world? If not, then is it only arbitrary? The proponents of abstraction historically claimed that it was a way of by passing the literalness of interpretation and instead, going after direct sensation and emotion. I suppose you either feel it or you don't. Either way, I recommend to keep looking.

    ReplyDelete