Monday, March 30, 2009

Stefany- Banana Factory Trip

In my opinion, the most interesting thing about the Banana Factory trip was the fact that we could see artist’s studios and how they work. I really enjoyed the time we spent with Rachel Akers the Visual Arts and Education Coordinator. I also was surprised about the amount of people that show up on the first Friday. I really like going to the Banana Factory.
The most unexpected thing seen in my eyes was the ambition and passion Rachel had for her job. Taking on so many responsibilities and having practically no life outside of her career has fortunately led a successful life. I was very impressed with her words and how she has accomplished so much even after family troubles. I was impressed how great of a curator she became and how she put the Susan Ward Exhibition together in only 2 days. That was very unexpected, and impressive. It gave me a reassurance of hope that after graduating from Northampton as well, we can find careers and the “stay positive” attitude that instills her each day.
In my opinion, I do not think that I could find my self in this profession. I would like it more than just being a starving artist, and I would have a “real” job, but it is not for me. I enjoyed seeing what she does, but I am still set on teaching children art. I found it jaw dropping when she put the show up in 2 days and still had hair let. I really enjoy working with children and seeing them first hand how they create and use their imagination. I commend anyone who can do this as a career and my hat goes off, but it is not the ideal career for me. I am looking forward to being with the classroom full of rambunctious students egar to learn.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Rachel is a wonder of energy. Glad your inspired to help kids be creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, it was great to see that even after getting away from the arts as a career that you can come back if life takes you somewhere else for awhile

    ReplyDelete