Monday, March 30, 2009

Stefany- "Altered and Assembled"

At the Williams Center of Arts at Lafayette College, I saw many art pieces from local artists. In my opinion, there is no such thing as bad art. I believe this because the audience may have a different opinion than you, but it is how they express themselves through that piece of work.
Viewing the “Altered and Assembled” show was unique. My first reaction was to read the curators statement, take a quick glance around and go see the artists that I personally knew. As I walked around I took another quick glance around the room for pieces that stuck out in my mind that seemed interesting. I noticed the big sign labeled “Burden”. Along with found objects using dolls as the theme by Mayra. The show was organized by different artists and the categories of their work, taking reference to the altered and assembled double meaning. Another way I saw how everything was organized was how the art was displayed. Some pieces that are larger were in the center of the exhibit. Other artwork was on pedestals but at an average height so people could better view the work. Other pieces of work were free standing, hung attached on the wall or even suspended from the ceiling. I believe the art that was suspended was in the way of the walking path. In my opinion it could have been lower to better view or in a different location. In my opinion, some of the pieces required more space around them due to their large size. I believe everything else was proportionally sized according to the space given. The curator’s statement was the first thing I noticed, in addition to my favorite art work. Wally Barnette was my favorite artist at the exhibit. The artists used found objects and different materials than I would have thought to use in my own before.
After I walked through the exhibit, I noticed how fast it went. I made a mental note for the next exhibit to take my time. I began to walk through again, noticing specific details that I had missed the first time. I also realized that some of the ways artists used to attach objects to others was using hot glue, wood glue, several varieties and colors of tape, all different sized metal wire, wood, nails, screws, and even paint. By walking around the exhibit twice it also gave me inspirations of my own projects and a different way to use this object or way to secure another object. It also allowed me to see details in the art pieces that I did not see the first time, like the objects on the square box. Some of them reminded me of childhood others of great and even sad memories.
Besides the Banana Factory, I have never been to an exhibit like this and it was an eye opening experience. Seeing other artists work gave me inspiration for my own and it allowed me to see the finer details, and more specific things than the normal viewing public.

No comments:

Post a Comment