Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Michelle Andreano, Allentown Art Museum

Steve Gambler, Allentown Art Museum's Preparator, had a multitude of jobs. He worked with the matting, shipping, framing, and even designing shows in the computer. Justs the amount of information and work required to ship and receive items seems like a full time job to me. I couldn't really see myself in that job, given how involved it was in just preparing and setting up shows.


Jane Kintzner, the Associate Director of Education and Programming and the interim Director of Education, showed us the Student and teacher program at the museum. It was interesting how they recycled the décor and even packing crates to create the children's area into a totally new area relating to what was going on at the museum at the time. Her job is the sort of position I could see myself working in, especially since art education is the field I am interested in going into. The

most interesting part of her job seemed to be interacting with adults and children who are interested in the arts, and how inspiring that seemed to be.


Kelly, the art history major from Lafayette College, was an intern who worked with the fabric restoration and conservation, helping out the regular staff while learning the ins and outs of the museum, and I definitely think that I would at some point do something like that. The most interesting part of her job seemed to be interacting and learning from people with so much more experience and knowledge.


Jackie Atkins, the Katie Fowler Murel Smith Curator of Textiles and the interim Curator of Collections and Exhibitions, walked us around the museum for most of the tour. She spoke to us about conserving and working on textiles, storing artwork, and putting up shows. I could see myself in her sort of job (specializing in a field, perhaps ceramics or something) and being responsible for those shows; I know if that were the path I was going to take, it will be farther into the future though.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah it would be so great to work at the Allentown Art Musuem

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't see myself with steve's job either I think I would go nuts but more power to him

    ReplyDelete
  3. God review. So Art Ed is your choice among these possibilities – all of which are full-time by the way, which makes it difficult, but not impossible, to continue making your own artwork.
    Your choice to pursue studies at KU (Art Ed) is in the right direction for this career path. Remember to seek out internships to get experience.

    ReplyDelete