Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Michele O - Exploring NY galleries

At the Andrew Kreps gallery on 22nd st. I was drawn to the work of Hans-Peter Feldman. His "Camouflage Camera" was very interesting to me because he took a regular 35mm SLR camera and simply splattered paint on it. In doing this, he took something that is used to create art, and turned that into art in itself.

At Pace Wildenstein, Klaus Jorres set up a never-ending race track that was interactive. The viewer could pick up the cars and send them in any direction they prefer, whether they crashed into one another, or went careening down the track and through loops. I always appreciate interactive art because it makes the viewer feel a part of it.

At DJT fine art on 10th ave., it was pretty cool to see a lot of pop art by artists such as Keith Haring, Lichtenstein, Warhol, and Basquiat. While I have seen work by these artists before, it was special, mainly because pop art is one of my favorite genres, to see them all grouped together in one gallery.

At the Whitney museum, I was very interested by the work of Cory Arcangel. In his piece "Supermario Clouds", he had hacked into a video game cartridge run on Nintendo Entertainment system to have the backround of a video game projected on two walls and a television set. It was interesting to see something that is a large part of my generation and popular culture in general (I recognized the clouds as soon as I saw them) turned into a piece of art.

Also at the Whitney museum, of course, was the work of Jenny Holzer in an exhibit called "Protect Protect". I was completely taken aback at the affect her work had on its viewers. Some museum goers entered the room and just stood their in amazement. I found her electronic signs that used LED to convey declassified goverment information to be the most interesting. Everything these pieces said seemed so private, but by putting them in this exhibit, she is showing the whole world. Overall, it was very impactful.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah DJT Gallery was quite amazing. Could not believe all the great artist they had. Also, did you hear the workers say, "We sold that painting for 10 million!" .. or was it 20 K.. anyways it was a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hans-Peter Feldman - "he took something that is used to create art, and turned that into art in itself." good point!
    Klaus Jorres – "I always appreciate interactive art because it makes the viewer feel a part of it." yes.
    Cory Arcangel – "It was interesting to see something that is a large part of my generation and popular culture in general (I recognized the clouds as soon as I saw them) turned into a piece of art." art is always shifting/changing
    Jenny Holzer – "Everything these pieces said seemed so private, but by putting them in this exhibit, she is showing the whole world. Overall, it was very impactful." Exactly!
    Astute observations. Good job.

    ReplyDelete