Friday, April 3, 2009

Michele O - Interview with Frank Mann

Interview With Artist Frank Mann

Being able to talk with and have my artwork evaluated by Frank Mann was a one of a kind experience that I will surely never forget. He gave me tips, ideas, and his thoughts on my work. He truly looked and thought about my pieces and what he wanted to say about them for some time. Probably the most surprising thing was that he did not embody the traditional stigma that artists are stuck-up, standoffish, and pretentious. In fact, he was quite personable and seemed more than willing to offer his advice and experience to us.
Frank Mann told me that the basis of my work reminded him of himself, which I took as a huge complement. While our styles are very different, he pointed out that we both have an abstract way of leading the viewers eye around the canvas. He also said that my work tends to have a “decorative” feel and a somewhat design-like aesthetic, and although that is not the direction I intended to go in, he is right, and that is something I would like to change. I plan to move to a more representational and illustrative, but still somewhat abstract aesthetic.
This meeting with Frank Mann was very informative. It was a big help to have gotten advice from someone who has been involved in the art world for many years. It helped me come to realize a few things about my work that I would not have noticed had he not pointed them out. It also helped to better decide where I want my work this semester to go. Overall it was a very inspiring experience and I could not have thanked him enough for giving up his time to talk to my classmates and myself about our work, and to give us advice on where to go next.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got a lot out it. Frank is a very special person and, of course, terrific painter.

    ReplyDelete