Friday, April 3, 2009

Michele O - Allentown Art Museum

I think Steve Gamler has a really cool job that I would love to have. He got to witness the art at each step in takes in the museum - upon its arrival and until it is hung. He gets to handle priceless works of art every single day, so he must feel a great deal of pressure. I would probably run away and live in a cave if I ever destroyed one of those priceless ancient artifacts. I’ve always wanted to work behind the scenes in a museum and a job along these lines would be great - except for all the technical stuff and the use of math.
Jane Kinztner’s job as the Director of Education is not one that would appeal to me because I am not really a good teacher. However, I did think it was interesting that she got to create all the different classes and lessons - that requires a lot of creative thinking. I also thought it was cool that she gets to work with people of all ages - from young children to the elderly and even whole families. Her job at the museum probably requires the most people and social skills.
Jackie Atkins had an interesting job too, the head curator of the museum and the curator of textiles. She basically has a part in everything that goes on in the museum. This job does not really appeal to me because I find textiles boring, and while a curators job is very interesting and it is a job she is lucky to have, it seems very overwhelming.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an honest assessment on your part. Yes, all of these jobs require a lot, more than many other professions – multiple skill sets, a willingness to do the extra work that seems to constantly pop up, and an interest in continuing to learn more about the field every day. The upside is that it is rewarding to feel as if your really contributing to something important, visual culture, and you get to work with a lot of really smart people who all love ART!

    ReplyDelete