Monday, May 11, 2009

Stefany: Jennie Holzer Art Museum Allentown

A. In my opinion, when someone says there is art work at the courthouse that is worth seeing I really wonder what they are thinking. I thought that it was pretty ironic that her truisms were on the benches. The granite benches signified to me of the firm court system and her truisms we definitely true. How she says some of these and the wording she uses makes me laugh. Seeing these at the court house was def, worth it. It also makes me wonder if the people standing outside the courtroom read these and if it actually has an impact on them before court.

B. In my opinion, I would describe this art as eye catching and it makes you think. Jennie makes me think that; are these things she inscribes on the benches really from her personal experience or belief? I would like to know if she really wanted to put these truisms on the benches inside the courthouse for a reason or if she decided on a whim?

C. Anger or hate can be a useful motivating force
Children are the hope of the future
Drama often obscures the real issues
Elaboration is a form of pollution
Freedom is a luxury not a necessity
Humor is a release
D. We are have destructive forces from within

We are out to get each other

Take life for what it is

Driving is a privilege not a right

Comedy is a release for stress

Allentown Art Museum Trip
1. Jackie Atkins/Curator of Textiles
----interim Curator of Collections and Exhibitions
2. In my opinion, I was surprised by how much information Jackie knew about the textiles. She knows her stuff. The “Behind the Scenes” tour was also interesting and we got to see how textiles were repaired and cared for. She was very informative about everything and I could not believe what her job was. I do not think I could do her job. It entails a lot of social skills as well as specific knowledge. I thought it was great how Jackie can work like a tour guide. I was disappointed because time did not allow us to go through the gallery and see the different works. I would have liked to take the time for that.
I also was impressed when Steve said he was hired right from college. Not many people get that lucky and find their first job to be amazing. I felt very fortunate to see how Steve’s job is on a daily basis. We got to see what type of crates work best and learned what glue is not always the best. It was interesting to see the expression on his face when he was telling us about the wood choices some artists use to ship artwork. It was very amazing to see how much packaging artists need to use. I really never took into consideration the process artwork goes through to get to the museum or up on the walls. I also was pretty amazed by the simulation they did with the new arriving work on the computer. I am sure this is very beneficial and a great time saver. I also do not think I could do Steve’s job. It is very interesting to see the process but, I need more social interaction then that. I would also be worried about deadlines and having everything ready for installation. I would not know what to do with myself if I damaged a piece. I probably would be homeless then just to pay for it. What a nerve wracking job, I am sure it has it payoffs though. :)

1 comment:

  1. Jenny Holzer's "Truisms" was a commisioned artwork as part of the Federal Governments "1% for Art" program whereby 1% of the allocated funds for public buildings is to go into the creaton of public art.

    ReplyDelete