Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Lindsey's Thesis

1. What were some of your original expectations for your artwork within this course and how does this compare to your actual experience this semester?
When I registered for this class I was kind of nervous about it at first because I didn’t know who I was, as an artist. I wasn’t sure what my favorite media was yet, so when we were assigned the first project I was really stumped. Then I discovered cardboard. I love the 3-d effect that it creates and I had so much fun experimenting with cardboard and manipulating it. I used some found images in a few of the projects and a variety of mixed media.

2. Summarize the proposal for your intended body of work, and explain how this has been realized or perhaps altered during the course of working.
I wanted to create a body of work the represents my life in dreams. But I ended up using that idea, and adding in personal experiences. I was flooded with inspiration because my life has taken a lot of twists and turns over that last year. Making my art was kind of a release for me, and showing it to my family and friends was a coming out.

3. Describe the pieces you have completed this semester and how you feel about the state of the work at this point. What are the main ideas behind the work and how have you tried to communicate those ideas through each piece?
My inspiration for my projects came from life experiences and things that interest me. The projects represent dreams, a car accident, and my personal beliefs and values. Also some of the drawing represented current struggles I was going through or issues I feel strongly about. I feel like my work is definitely going somewhere great. I am excited to continue experimentation with several different mediums, especially hot glue.

4. Describe the materials you have worked with and any techniques that you have developed or expanded upon. How have techniques and materials played a role in your ideas and feelings about the work?
I have developed several techniques while working with cardboard and hot glue.
I really enjoy using the hot glue to make all kinds of textures. Also when painting acrylic over the hot glue it causes a glossy finish, which is very neat. I also spent a lot of time tearing cardboard, and carefully extracting the corrugated interior. I would use metal scissors to work off the top layer and peel it away. I also used cardboard pieces when needing to make something 3-d, I also used this technique to make hangers for all of the projects. I’m sure there is still much to discover with cardboard and hot glue.

5. Have any comments about your work or thoughts expressed during critiques stood out in your thinking and helped to change or alter the direction of the work for the better?
I have always received positive feedback from everyone, which was kind of annoying, because I wanted to know what I could do to better my work. Often times I would ask others for their opinion. For example, the inside of the door on “something deeper” needed something more, and someone suggested feathers. I really like this idea because I have had a recent interest in birds, so I did it.

6. What artists, art movements, art historical time periods or visual culture issues have you researched? (Visual Culture Paper, etc.) What specifically has influenced you from looking at these artists?
Mostly I tried to look up artists who use cardboard as principle material but it was difficult. I couldn’t find any artist who were using it like I was. But I did find one man named Chris Gilmore, and I found his work to be truly amazing. He makes life-size realistic representations of everyday objects such as, ta typewriter, a bicycle, and a wheelchair. My other favorite artist I found is Hannah Hoch, who is a German abstract artist. I was particularly interested in the bright colors she uses, and the messages of feminism that are conveyed in her work. I have always been interest in the work that Jenny Holzer does as well. I researched the Dada movement because I was interested in the collage work that was done in that time period. I became really interested Matisse and his work as well as the stories behind it.

7. From meeting and speaking with art professionals this semester, what insights did you gain about he art world and what it means to be a professional artist? Who made the biggest impression on you and why?
One insight that I learned is that being an artist is a lifestyle, rather than a career. We always think like artist, and our minds are always filled with creative ideas, which is portrayed in everyday life. I think I realized this one our first stop in NYC, John Mcdevitt King’s apartment/studio. I thought how neat it would be to be able to live by money made by selling art. But I also know that you need to stand out among the rest to be a successful artists. I honestly felt like our class was filled with amazing minds. I am so proud of the art that we have all made this semester and I love the variety of our show.

8. Artist Statement: What is the essence of your artwork put into words? This can take the form of a description, a philosophical position, a poem, quote from a favorite artist, or any combination of these. A good artist statement tells us something about the mind set of the artist and compels us to look further into their world.
Thesis Statement

4.28.2009

When this semester first began I wasn’t sure where my artwork was going. I knew that I wanted to make work that means something to myself as well as the viewer. When I was getting ready to begin my first project I realized that I have had a box of cardboard sitting around for a couple years, and I wanted to be able to use it. I started by tearing it apart which revealed the amazing, multipurpose corrugated interior. After this I continued to manipulate the cardboard into whatever I wanted. Not only was I discovering the best material I‘ve ever worked with, but I was helping the environment by recycling and it was free! Then I began researching artists who use cardboard as a staple material and I found that people are doing pretty amazing things with this versatile medium. Another quality that I find interesting is the 3-D nature of the cardboard. The possibilities are endless.
I enjoy looking at artwork that gives the viewer something to think about. My goal as an artist would be for the viewer to come to their own conclusion about the meaning. I think that observing art should be compared to reading a poem or a book in that it expands our imaginations.
Entertainment in it’s rarest form.


Night Poem

There is nothing to be afraid of,
it is only the wind
changing to the east, it is only
your father the thunder
your mother the rain

In this country of water
with its beige moon damp as a mushroom,
its drowned stumps and long birds
that swim, where the moss grows
on all sides of the trees
and your shadow is not your shadow
but your reflection,

your true parents disappear
when the curtain covers your door.
We are the others,
the ones from under the lake
who stand silently beside your bed
with our heads of darkness.
We have come to cover you
with red wool,
with our tears and distant whispers.

You rock in the rain's arms,
the chilly ark of your sleep,
while we wait, your night
father and mother,
with our cold hands and dead flashlight,
knowing we are only
the wavering shadows thrown
by one candle, in this echo
you will hear twenty years later.
-- Margaret Atwood

1 comment:

  1. Lindsey,
    Good content here. Media discovery/exploration stands out – letting the material itself suggest artistic direction. Personal imagery and dreams are classic and enduring sources for artworks – suggest keep mining this as well as other artists you are just now learning about. Dada/Surrealism (Hannah Hoch, and others), Art Povera (Italy), Magic Realism, Outsider Art (untrained) may prove fruitful sources. Good stretching the apparent limits of cardboard with more in store I suspect – larger works, environments, enclosures could prove transformative and exciting. Try anything that comes to mind before ruling anything out. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete